Interest in Horse Racing in Ireland Increasing

Following a nationwide poll, interest in horse racing in Ireland has increased, Horse Racing Ireland announced on Wednesday. A poll of over 1,000 people, conducted by the Red C research company between Feb. 8-Feb. 15, aimed at understanding the adult population's attitudes toward horse racing. The results are as follows:

  • In 2021, 39% of the population have an interest in horse racing versus 23% last year
  • A total of 85% of racing fans are missing attending race meetings
  • 19% of racing fans plan to attend more race meetings than previously
  • 27% of 18-34 year-olds plan to attend more race meetings than previously
  • 40% of the population would have some interest in joining a racing syndicate or racing club.

Brian Kavanagh, CEO of Horse Racing Ireland, said, “The results of the poll demonstrate that interest in horse racing has increased through the pandemic. While racing has been held behind closed doors since March of last year, it is heartening that such a large percentage of racing fans are eager for a return to the racecourse.

“The numbers of people getting involved in racehorse ownership continues to rise and the survey results reflect this increased appetite. Racehorse ownership is the key catalyst for growth at every level of the industry.”

Paul Dermody, CEO of HRI Racecourses and HRI's Director of Commercial & Marketing, added, “The figure of 60% for people who follow the sport on a weekly basis is well up on the 2020 equivalent of 47%. The feedback shows that HRI's 'On Your Terms' television ad campaign has performed very well among sports and racing fans.

“It is such a positive that there has been an increased number of racemeetings broadcast live on terrestrial television and this has been very well received. We are grateful to both RTÉ and TG4 for their increased commitment to Irish Racing.

“Indeed, the new broadcasting deal with RTÉ for live coverage of Irish horse racing for the next three years will deliver a record number of free-to-air live racing days in Ireland.”

The post Interest in Horse Racing in Ireland Increasing appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

‘Banging My Head Against The Wall’: Lawson Frustrated With Racing Postponement At Woodbine

As a result of the Provincial State of Emergency declared on April 7 by the Government of Ontario, which includes a province-wide 28-day stay-at-home order effective Thursday, April 8, at 12:01 a.m., Woodbine Entertainment announced that the 2021 Thoroughbred Meet at Woodbine Racetrack has been postponed. The stay-at-home order was recently extended to May 20, and Woodbine CEO Jim Lawson told the Toronto Sun he is “frustrated beyond belief” with the lack of action by the provincial government.

Hockey, an indoor sport conducted in a confined space, is allowed to continue in Ontario at this time, but horse racing, an outdoor sport conducted in the open air, is not.

Additionally, morning training is allowed to continue at Woodbine, but racing is not. The same workers are needed for afternoon racing, so there is not an increased risk of infection/transmission.

“Horse racing people are pleading with me to give them a thread of hope so they can go back to their owners and say, 'I talked to Jim. It looks like we're going to be able to race.' But I can't give them that assurance or hope because, quite frankly, I'm tired of giving people hope,” Lawson told the Toronto Sun. “I've had good discussions (with the province and Toronto Health) but nothing seems to be happening. I'm banging my head against the wall. I don't even know where to turn anymore. It's not like I'm not having the right discussions with the right people. But someone has to spend an hour – whatever the time is – to go through what we're doing.”

Read more at the Toronto Sun.

The post ‘Banging My Head Against The Wall’: Lawson Frustrated With Racing Postponement At Woodbine appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Mahoning Valley Closes Season on a High

The 2020-21 racing season at Hollywood Gaming Mahoning Valley Race Course came to a record-setting close last Saturday. The 2020-2021 season concluded with an average handle per race of $121,770, a 4.43% increase in average handle per race over the 2019-2020 racing season. During the 2021 Winter/Spring meet portion of the racing season, average handle per race came in at $131,411 with the wagering highlight coming Mar. 29.

In a mandatory payout of the Buckeye Jackpot Pick 6, which had grown to $343,876, the single day handle record was shattered by over $1 million. The new record is $3,095,044. The 2021 meet also saw the introduction of the 15% takeout Pick 5, with an average pool size of nearly $30,000.

Jeffery Radosevich took his 11th training title with 2021's Winter/Spring meet, winning with four of his final five starts giving him 23 wins in the meet.

Taking his second Mahoning title, Sonny Leon claimed the 2021 Winter/Spring leading jockey championship with 74 wins, 17 ahead of the runner up. Earlier this year he made trip number 500 to the winners circle and his mounts have surpassed $9 million in earnings.

Last fall, Mahoning Valley hosted the Best of Ohio stakes on Oct. 31, five restricted Ohio Bred stakes valued at $500,000. Forewarned, for trainer Uriah St. Lewis and owner Trin-Brook Stables, Inc, successfully returned to defend his title in the mile and a quarter Best of Ohio Endurance S. Just over a week after the Best of Ohio Stakes Nov. 10, Mahoning was shutdown due to the pandemic, losing seven live racing days. Despite the setbacks, Mahoning returned Nov. 23 in time to host the sixth running of the Steel Valley Sprint, won by Vertical Threat.

Racing will return at Mahoning Valley Friday, Oct. 22.

The post Mahoning Valley Closes Season on a High appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Big A Already Given Over 180K COVID Vaccines

With live racing transitioning from New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) 's Aqueduct Racetrack to Belmont Park for the start of the spring/summer meet Apr. 22, Aqueduct will continue to serve as mass COVID-19 vaccination center. The New York State vaccination distribution center opened Jan. 18 and has provided more than 180,000 doses. Operating seven days a week, the Aqueduct site is now providing as many as 4,000 doses per day.

“This facility has vaccinated more than 180,000 individuals since January thanks to the teamwork displayed by employees from the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, Department of Health, Division of Military and Naval Affairs, Department of Corrections and Community Supervision, New York State Police, Somos Community Care and the New York Racing Association, and I applaud all their efforts in this fight to help us end the pandemic,” said Patrick A. Murphy, Commissioner of the State Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services.

Belmont also serves as vaccination distribution center, operated by Northwell Health. The vaccination hub, which also opened in January, will continue to administer vaccinations through Belmont's 2021 spring/summer meet.

“NYRA is proud to contribute to the mass vaccination effort to help turn the page on the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Dave O'Rourke, NYRA President and CEO. “We thank all those who have been working at Aqueduct Racetrack and Belmont Park to protect their fellow New Yorkers during this public health crisis.”

Since April 2020, the Aqueduct parking lot has been the site of a drive-thru COVID-19 testing location.

The post Big A Already Given Over 180K COVID Vaccines appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights