Highflyer Bloodstock Strikes for Arqana Autumn Toppers

The second day of the Arqana Autumn Sale kicked off with horses-in-training on Monday. Although the catalogue was not as deep as 2019’s record-breaking sale, 77% of the 160 horses offered found new homes. The gross was €3,050,000 for the 124 sold and two horses were co-toppers at €200,000, with Highflyer Bloodstock snapping up both offerings. In 2019, the highest price was €420,000. The average dropped to €24,597

(-29%) and the median fell to €11,000 (-21%). In addition, the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic also presented some challenges, but the sale was conducted in the new open air ring, just like this past Friday’s Arqana Autumn Flat Yearling Sale.

Tessa Greatrex and David Powell of Highflyer Bloodstock first picked up lot 423, Tax for Max (Ger) (Maxios {GB}), for €200,000. They bought the 3-year-old colt on behalf of Simon Munir and Isaac Souede, who are sending the colt to Willie Mullins. Previously trained by Henk Grewe and offered by Gestut Ohlerweiherhof, the dark bay is rated 109. Tax for Max finished fourth in the G2 Sparkasse KolnBonn Union-Rennen.

Just 11 lots later, the winning gelding Houx Gris (Fr) (Gris de Gris {Ire}) (lot 434) caught their eye again to equal the price of Tax for Max. Sold by Jean-Marie Callier, the hurdler was trained by Sylvain Dehez. Successful in his latest start at Auteuil, he will race in the colurs of Jared Sullivan.

“We’ve bought him for Jared Sullivan,” commented David Powell. “He’ll go to England where he’ll be trained by Paul Nicholls.”

Overall, seven lots brought six figures, with Horse Racing Advisory’s Hubert Barbe and Charlie Swan purchasing three of them, led by Hercule du Seuil (Fr) (Saddler Maker {Ire}) (lot 464) at €185,000. Runner-up in his lone start over hurdles at Strasbourg on Oct. 21, the Michael Seror-consigned 3-year-old colt is from the same family as Grade 2 winner Etoile du Seuil (Fr) (Network {Ger}). The duo also snapped up the dual Flat-winning gelding Goven (Fr) (Poliglote {GB}) (lot 456) from Alain Couetil for €175,000 and lot 471, Head Law (Fr) (Network {Ger}) at €150,000. The latter won over 2300 metres on Nov. 6 and is a half-brother to Grade 2 scorer GA Law (Fr) (Sinndar {Ire}). The HRA quintet was completed by Gaetan Taupin’s Hawai Game (Fr) (Diamond Boy {Fr}) (lot 461) for €90,000 and lot 465, the €60,000 Gold Conti (Fr) (Network {Ger}) from the draft of Arnaud Chaille-Chaille.

“The market is difficult but we bought them at the right price,” said Charlie Swan. “They are all going to start over hurdles and we hope that some of them will go down the chasing route afterwards, we just have to be lucky. The French system is really very well done, the horses are broken in early and progress race by race afterwards from a young age.”

The final two seven-figure lots will both head Down Under, with listed winner Arapaho (Fr) (Lope de Vega {Ire}) bringing €140,000 from Jim Clarke of Clarke Bloodstock and Avenue Bloodstock for the Australian trainer Bjorn Baker. Hailing from the draft of trainer Andre Fabre, lot 418 is out of stakes winner Alzubra (GB) (Dansili {GB}). Consigned by Wertheimer et Frere, Flambeur (Mizzen Mast) (lot 427), who won the Listed La Coupe de Marseille, is bound for the yard of Matthew Smith after hammering for €100,000.

At the end of Monday’s sale, Arqana President and Executive Director Freddy Powell said, “Demand for the horses-in-training was not as strong today as it was last year. We cannot ignore the impact of COVID-19 on the business of many owners, nor the absence of certain buyers due to the movement restrictions caused by the pandemic. We will now focus on the young jumps

prospects and the National Hunt breeding day.”

The post Highflyer Bloodstock Strikes for Arqana Autumn Toppers appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Canterbury Requests 65-Date Season For 2021, Purses Projected To Return To Pre-COVID Levels

Canterbury Park racing officials have submitted a request to the Minnesota Racing Commission for 65 racing dates in 2021 beginning May 18 and running through Sept. 16. With the request came the caveat that future impacts associated with the COVID-19 pandemic may necessitate an amendment to the request. Horsemen purses are projected to return to pre-COVID-19 levels of approximately $220,000 per day, a 13 percent increase over the $195,000 per day in 2020. The meet would feature both thoroughbred and quarter horse racing.

Canterbury Park's 2020 race meet was delayed and shortened but once commencing on June 10 the meet ran uninterrupted for 53 days through Sept. 17 with limited spectators.

“We intend to run a more typical 65-day meet in 2021,” Vice President of Racing Operations Andrew Offerman said. “We have learned a lot about safely conducting a racing season during very trying circumstances. We will build on that knowledge next season knowing that there may be subsequent changes and alterations to the schedule. However, it is important for the racing industry to understand our intention to run a 65-day meet from mid-May through mid-September.”

With a capacity limit of 750 spectators in the recently concluded meet, track officials moved off the traditional Thursday through Sunday schedule and conducted racing Monday through Thursday evenings. The result was a 116 percent increase in out-of-state wagering handle. The request for 2021 is for a Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday schedule with racing on Memorial Day and Labor Day as well as Saturday, July 3.

Canterbury Park's live racing success has been predicated on live crowds averaging more than 6,500 per day generating food, beverage, handle and admission revenues crucial to supporting a race meet that employs more than 1,000 workers, the majority of which was lost in 2020.

“We fully understand the severity and serious nature of the ongoing pandemic; however we remain optimistic and are planning a 2021 season for what might be possible,” Vice President of Marketing John Groen said. “Should venues like Canterbury Park be allowed to safely increase attendance capacity, Sunday afternoon would provide an opportunity to reintroduce popular family promotions tied to live horse racing that we are known for.”

Sunday afternoon racing in 2021 would replace Mondays which produced the weakest results during Canterbury Park's 2020 meet. In past years, promotions such as corgi dog races and fireworks displays have attracted crowds three times larger than the daily average.

The 2021 schedule also includes a nine-day break to accommodate Twin Cities Summer Jam, a three-day music festival held in the racetrack infield July 22 through 24. The event was first held in 2019 but postponed in 2020 as a result of the pandemic.

The Minnesota Racing Commission, a nine-member panel appointed by the state's governor tasked with overseeing the integrity and safety of horse racing at Minnesota's two pari-mutuel racetracks, is expected to consider Canterbury's race date request at its December meeting. Minnesota Administrative Rule 7872.0100 required Canterbury Park to submit for 2021 racing dates no later than Nov. 15, 2020.

Canterbury Park's 24/7 card casino and simulcast racebook remain open daily. For more information visit www.canterburypark.com.

The post Canterbury Requests 65-Date Season For 2021, Purses Projected To Return To Pre-COVID Levels appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Tyler Baze ‘Happy To Be Home’ With Family, Riding At Del Mar Again

Halfway through Saturday's fourth race at Del Mar, a mile $25,000 claimer on the main track, jockey Tyler Baze and his mount Pubilius Syrus, the 5-2 betting favorite, were 10 lengths behind and appeared destined for a distancing loss.

Three-quarters of the way through, they were still 7 1/2 lengths behind and were in front, by just a head, of only one rival in the field of seven.

However, in a turn of events that makes racing exciting, they sprinted past everyone in front of them in the last quarter and won by a neck.

“He (Pubilius Syrus) didn't want to run until he was ready, that's all I can say,” Baze said afterward. “I was ridin' and ridin' and he wasn't giving me nothing. Then all of a sudden he just turned on the afterburners and went. I thought, 'Finally, gosh he was making me work way too hard.'”

Carrying on the family tradition of his cousin Russell, who retired as North America's all-time leading jockey with 12,842 wins, Tyler was horsebacking at age 3 and riding professionally at 17. Baze, now 38, won an Eclipse Award as North America's top apprentice in 2000 and was a Southern California circuit regular until the storms, literal and figurative, at Santa Anita in 2019 prompted a move to the Midwest for the good of his business and family.

The venture was successful enough, even through the COVID-19 complications of 2020. But there was the desire to get back to Southern California and be with his family at their home near Santa Anita. And, at the end of summer came an opportunity to have respected horseman Jack Carava – who ended a 33-year training career – as his agent.

So, in September, Baze was back riding in Southern California with intentions of staying but more aware than ever of the uncertainties of life.

“You never know what's going to happen,” Baze said. “But California racing is good, my family's here and I'm happy to be home. Jack (Carava) is great. I'd ridden for him for 20 years and when he said he wanted to make a career change I jumped at the opportunity to work with him.”

Baze, of course, was delighted to get back to his wife and three children.

“Ages 3, 4 and 6 and they're only going to be kids once,” Baze said. “They're happy that I get to see them every day. They were missing daddy a lot.”

Like everyone else, 2020 has been a year of dealing with COVID for Baze. Initially on the Midwest circuit in Arkansas and Kentucky, lately in California.

“Everywhere you go the rules are different,” Baze said. “I just try to keep pretty isolated. There ain't no going shopping at the mall. My kids have pretty much stayed at home since it all started. It's crazy times and we're fortunate to be running (horse races).

“Everybody needs to do what they can to stay safe. Everybody needs to do their part.”

The win on Pubilius Syrus was No. 6 from 37 mounts at the meeting. He also has two seconds and three third-place finishes. “It's going well, can't complain,” Baze said.

It also was win No. 999 in the career of trainer Mark Glatt, who figures to notch milestone No. 1,000 during the Bing Crosby Season. The first opportunity comes in today's second race when Baze rides Win Like Coach P, 5-1 on the morning line.

The post Tyler Baze ‘Happy To Be Home’ With Family, Riding At Del Mar Again appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

24 Confirmed COVID-19 Cases Linked To Golden Gate Stables Since Oct. 30; Racing Cancelled Through Nov. 20

With the utmost regard for the safety and well-being of 1/ST RACING employees, those working on the backstretch and the community at large, and in following the best guidance from local health authorities, Golden Gate Fields in Northern California will temporarily pause live racing effective noon Friday, Nov. 13 through to Nov. 20.

Since the outset of the COVID-19 pandemic, Golden Gate Fields has implemented stringent health and safety measures including strict social distancing and masking policies and regular COVID-19 testing with isolation requirements for any positive cases or identified close contacts.

Since Oct. 30, there have been 24 confirmed cases linked to the Berkeley stable area. All positive cases are overseen by the Berkeley Public Health Division (BPHD) through their case managers, are required to isolate as per BPHD protocols and are not able to return to Golden Gate Fields until health clearance has been provided by BPHD.

During the period of temporary closure, track facilities will undergo thorough cleaning and track-wide COVID-19 testing will be performed for all employees and backstretch workers in the stable area. Upon completion of testing all data will be shared with the BPHD.

The 1,300 horses stabled onsite will continue to receive the daily care and exercise they require.

Golden Gate Fields will continue to monitor the situation in collaboration with the BPHD and will look forward to resuming live racing as soon as possible.

California horsemen were notified by the Santa Anita racing office that anyone from Golden Gate will be required to provide a negative COVID test before gaining access to the grounds at Santa Anita or San Luis Rey Downs training center. Officials at Del Mar, which races through Nov. 29, were not immediately available for comment.

The post 24 Confirmed COVID-19 Cases Linked To Golden Gate Stables Since Oct. 30; Racing Cancelled Through Nov. 20 appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights