Trainer Brad Cox Has ‘Two Live Shots’ With Indiana Derby, Oaks Starters

Trainer Brad Cox has feasted on the supporting stakes on Indiana Derby Day, winning two stakes each of the past two years and one in 2016. Throw in some seconds and thirds and the Indiana Derby card has been very good to the Cox stable.

“Yeah, but I've never run a horse in the Indiana Derby,” Cox said with a laugh.

That will change Wednesday with Godolphin's Shared Sense the 4-1 third choice in the field of ten 3-year-olds. Cox also has the 9-5 favorite in the co-featured $200,000, Grade 3 Indiana Oaks for 3-year-old fillies. Both horses will be ridden by Florent Geroux.

Cox's deep and talented stable has its main base at Churchill Downs with satellite divisions at Indiana Grand Racing & Casino and in New York. With the operation overseen by assistant trainer Ricky Giannini, Cox has won 38 races at Indiana Grand each of the past two meets with his winning percentage generally over 30 percent. That's been on display on the track's signature day of racing.

Coincidentally, now that Cox has his first Indiana Derby starter, he does not have any horses in those undercard stakes in which he's been so successful.

“It's been a good day for us in the past,” he said. “We've never won the Indiana Oaks or the Derby, so we're looking forward to it. We've got two live shots, for sure.”

Shared Sense certainly has the breeding to go the classic distances. He is a son of 2007 Kentucky Derby winner Street Sense, who is a stallion at owner-breeder Godolphin's Darley America in Lexington. Shared Sense's mom, Collective, is a daughter of 2006 Preakness winner Bernardini, another Darley stallion.

Shared Sense blitzed to a career-best 95 Bris speed figure in his last start, a Churchill Downs allowance race. The only problem was that Art Collector ran even faster, beating runner-up Shared Sense by 6 1/2 lengths. It was only a four-horse field, but Art Collector and third-place Finnick the Fierce are headed to Keeneland's Grade 2 Toyota Blue Grass Saturday, with Shared Sense and fourth-place Necker Island in the Indiana Derby.

“He got beat by a very nice horse,” Geroux said. “It was a very fast race, looked like one of the fastest 3-year-old speed figures in America so far this year. So that's exciting. But it was a long way between myself and (the winner). But the horse is doing great. It looks like a good spot for him.”

The Indiana Derby will be Shared Sense's first start in a graded stakes. He was sixth in two prior stakes, one in the mud and one grass.

“He's got to get a set up,” Cox said of the late-closer. “We need some speed in there to get his best effort. He's going to show up. He's been training well, continues to get better. And I think he'll get better with more ground. The mile and an eighth should be a positive. He's bred to run all day. I think he'll be in the mix.”

Cox said Shared Sense is reminiscent of a late-blooming 3-year-old he had last year in Owendale, who took a while to hit his best stride but then won a trio of Grade 3 stakes last year while also finishing a fast-flying third in the Preakness Stakes.

“He's got that Owendale running style and getting better with age, for sure,” he said.

Cox has rocketed to the top echelon of horse racing in recent years. Monomoy Girl, who earned her first victory at Indiana Grand, won the 2018 Kentucky Oaks and Breeders' Cup Distaff to be the trainer's first champion. He added two more Eclipse Award winners last year with Covfefe taking the 3-year-old filly and female sprint titles and British Idiom the 2-year-old filly championship after capturing their Breeders' Cup races.

He has yet to run a horse in the Kentucky Derby, however.

Cox is painfully aware of the attrition at the top end of the 3-year-old crop this year. He won the Grade 2 Louisiana Derby with Wells Bayou, now sidelined with bone bruising. He won a division of the Fair Grounds' Grade 2 Risen Star with Mr. Monomoy, out with an ankle injury.

“We've had a horse or two in the past who were in the hunt,” Cox said. “It's extremely hard just to get them qualified (for the Derby), and I'm finding out it's even harder to keep them healthy, happy and sound. Wells Bayou would have made it if it had been the first Saturday in May. It's a tough race to get to, and it's definitely a unique year. Hopefully this is the first and last of a September Derby.”

Cox has run in the Indiana Oaks before, finishing second and third in 2018 with Figarella's Queen and Kelly's Humor.

Shedaresthedevil's only finish out of the top three was fourth place in last year's Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf. She was turned over to Cox this year after being bought for $280,000 at Keeneland's November sale by Qatar Racing and Flurry Racing. Her four starts this year include a victory in Oaklawn Park's Grade 3 Honeybee, third in the Grade 3 Fantasy and then a six-length, front-running romp in a Churchill Downs allowance race.

“She ran a huge one,” Cox said. “We were looking just to get a race in her between the Fantasy and wherever we ended up, which ended up being the Indiana Oaks. She worked well all winter when we picked her up, and she's just continued to improve all winter, all spring and into the summer. If she shows up, she'll be tough.”

Shedaresthedevil should be in the Sept. 4 Kentucky Oaks “as long as she's happy and healthy and in good form,” he said.

“Shared Sense has a long way to go,” he continued. “He would need to pull it off on Wednesday and probably do a little more for the Godolphin team to want to try the Derby. That's up to them. But he's a nice horse. We've always thought he was a horse who could pick up the pieces in a big race. We're going into a big race with a live shot. He's an honest horse. He's going to need to take a step forward Wednesday, and I think he can.”

Live racing continues through Wednesday, Nov. 18. Action is held Monday through Thursday beginning at 2:20 p.m. Post times for the all-Quarter Horse programs is to be determined.

The post Trainer Brad Cox Has ‘Two Live Shots’ With Indiana Derby, Oaks Starters appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Baytown Bear First Winner for Upstart

Baytown Bear (Upstart) cruised to a 9 3/4-length victory to become the first winner for his freshman sire Upstart (Flatter) at Indiana Grand Tuesday. The gray gelding, who RNA’d for $9,500 as a Keeneland September yearling, was well-beaten in a pair of efforts sprinting at Churchill Downs, over the main track May 22 and over the turf June 5, and was coming off a fourth-place effort going 5 1/2 furlongs over the dirt in Louisville June 12.

Sent off the 9-5 second choice in this stretch-out to a mile, Baytown Bear was floated wide around the first turn and pressed the pace while three wide. He raced in tandem with 1-5 favorite Onenightstandards (Archarcharch) through fractions of :24.71 and :45.91. The two favorites turned for home well in front of the rest of the field and Onenightstandards began inching clear despite drifting out. The favorite suddenly bolted to the outside rail with a furlong to run, leaving Baytown Bear in total isolation to the finish.

Baytown Bear is out of And You Can, a half-sister to GI Kentucky Oaks winner Believe You Can (Proud Citizen). The mare, in foal to American Freedom, sold for $12,000 at this year’s Keeneland January sale. She produced a colt by that sire this spring and also has a yearling filly by Creative Cause. Click for the Equibase.com chart.

1st-Indiana Grand, $31,000, Msw, 7-7, 2yo, 1m, 1:43.54, ft.

BAYTOWN BEAR (g, 2, Upstart–And You Can, by Istan) Lifetime Record: 4-1-0-0, $25,490. O-McEntee Racing, Inc.; B-Brereton C. Jones (KY); T-Paul McEntee. *$9,500 RNA Ylg ’19 KEESEP.

 

The post Baytown Bear First Winner for Upstart appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Mr. Big News’ Experience Should Play A Big Role In Saturday’s Blue Grass Stakes

After Mr. Big News finished fifth in the Fair Grounds' G2 Risen Star Stakes in February, trainer Bret Calhoun was excited about the 3-year-old colt's prospects heading down the Road to the Kentucky Derby. Unfortunately, a large number of entries meant that Mr. Big News was excluded from the Louisiana Derby in March.

“I felt like he had a big chance that day, but we got excluded,” Calhoun said on an NTRA conference call on Tuesday afternoon.

Calhoun shifted gears and entered the Chester Thomas-owned colt in the listed Oaklawn Stakes on April 11. Mr. Big News was sent off at odds of nearly 47-1 in the $200,000 contest, but Calhoun had a lot of confidence in his charge.

“I think Gabe Saez gave him the kind of trip he had been looking for (in the Oaklawn Stakes),” Calhoun said. “He wants to be more of a free-running horse and use his stride. He gained a lot of experience in his earlier races, being down on the inside and taking the kickback, and I think that prepared him for that race. The pace scenario set up for him that day, and he was able to get home a winner.”

Mr. Big News charged from near dead-last to win the Oaklawn by a half-length, earning a spot in the starting gate for the Arkansas Derby, rescheduled for the first Saturday in May. Calhoun elected to skip that race, as well as the opportunity to earn Kentucky Derby points when he shifted his home base to Churchill Downs, in the Matt Winn Stakes in late May.

“I thought it was a little quick back from Arkansas, and he was being a little finicky eating for four or five days,” Calhoun explained. “I decided that the (Kentucky) Derby wasn't until September, so it would be best to have him at 100 percent.”

Initially, the plan had been to target the Indiana Derby on Wednesday night, since Triple Crown contender Maxfield was said to be pointing to the Blue Grass at Keeneland. When Maxfield defected, Calhoun decided to stay closer to home and enter the rescheduled Blue Grass Stakes on July 11.

“A lot of people may not believe in him because the Oaklawn win came in the mud,” Calhoun said. “His physical and mental maturity have improved a lot… I'm excited like the rest of the horsemen are to be back racing at Keeneland.”

Though Saez was handed a 30-day suspension by stewards in Indiana, he has been granted an exemption to ride Mr. Big News in the Blue Grass this Saturday.

The post Mr. Big News’ Experience Should Play A Big Role In Saturday’s Blue Grass Stakes appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Gabriel Saez Given Exemption From Indiana Rule; Will Be Permitted To Ride In Stakes During 30-Day Suspension

Jockey Gabriel Saez, currently serving a 30-day suspension for what Indiana Horse Racing Commission stewards said was “extreme carelessness” in a June 17 race at Indiana Grand, has been given an exemption to ride in Saturday's Grade 2 Blue Grass Stakes and other stakes races outside of Indiana.

The exemption would appear to be a violation of Indiana Horse Racing Commission rules stating that suspended jockeys may compete in designated races (stakes) “in the event a penalty for a riding violation is 10 days or less.”

However, Indiana Horse Racing Commission steward Dan Fick told the Paulick Report the commission's executive director has the authority to waive the rule and did so, permitting Saez to ride in specific designated races outside of Indiana.

The original ruling, dated June 18, was amended on July 2, stating: “Gabriel Saez, having reached a tentative agreement with the Commission Staff, may run in stakes races outside the state of Indiana while awaiting final approval of the settlement agreement by the Commission. Mr. Saez has agreed to add one day to the period of his suspension for each day that he participates in a stakes race. At this time, Mr. Saez has indicated to the commission that he wishes to participate in the following: The Met Mile (7/4/2020) and the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (7/11/20210). Per the settlement agreement, the term of Mr. Saez's suspension is extended by two days to include July 22 and July 23, 2020.”

Section 71IAC7.5-7-5 “Designated Races” of the Indiana Administrative Code states: “In the event a penalty for a riding violation is 10 days or less, the jockey may compete in a designated race or races provided the jockey must be named at the time of entry. … For the purpose of this section, a designated race shall mean any stakes, futurity, or futurity trial in any state.”

According to the June 18 ruling, stewards found that Saez “did carelessly allow his mount Justtequilatalkin to alter course into the path of another horse without sufficient clearance, setting off a chain reaction in which the riders of three other horses were unseated from their mounts and resulting in Justtequilatalkin being disqualified from first place and placed last.”

The original suspension called for Saez to serve the 30 days from June 22 through July 21, inclusive.

Indiana Horse Racing Commission executive director Deena Pitman, who waived the rule, did not respond to a message from the Paulick Report.

 

The post Gabriel Saez Given Exemption From Indiana Rule; Will Be Permitted To Ride In Stakes During 30-Day Suspension appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights