Jockey Club Racecourses Revises Up Expected Losses

Jockey Club Racecourses had previously projected a loss of £75-million in 2020, but now says it expects losses to exceed initial estimates following the government’s announcement on Tuesday that crowds will not be permitted at sporting venues for up to six months due to rising COVID-19 infection rates.

JCR Group Chief Executive Nevin Truesdale said he is seeking further clarity from the government on how long such restrictions may be in place and what support they may offer in the meantime.

“Organisations in the sport and events sector are facing significant financial challenges after six months with no spectators or visitors to their venues,” Truesdale said. “Previously we had estimated that revenues at Jockey Club Racecourses would be down this year by around £75 million out of an annual turnover that is normally circa £200 million, but that figure is being revised upwards on the basis we won’t have any level of spectators back from Oct. 1. We need to discuss more details of this with government, both in terms of the potential period we are looking at and the direct support for the industry that is now needed, but also making the case that restaurants and hospitality sales for example should be treated in the same way as the high street would make a real difference.

“In the meantime we will continue to race behind closed doors, as the teams have done a great job doing safely since racing resumed on June 1.”

Ascot Racecourse has staged its entire season behind closed doors, including its marquee Royal Ascot meeting, and its other headline fixture, British Champions Day on Oct. 17, will go ahead without spectators.

“Unfortunately we will not be able to welcome crowds on race days at this time in line with government policy,” said Ascot’s Director of Racing and Communications Nick Smith. “In the short term, we will be refunding or offering rollovers to all who have booked for our October race days, including QIPCO British Champions Day. Champions Day entries were very strong, and the ante-post markets reflect that a high-class renewal is on the cards, so we are focusing on that. International interest is high, and like Royal Ascot there will be Worldpool betting through the Hong Kong Jockey Club.”

The post Jockey Club Racecourses Revises Up Expected Losses appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Presque Isle Downs Announces 20 Percent Purse Increase Across The Board

Presque Isle Downs, in conjunction with the Pennsylvania Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association, is pleased to announce a 20 percent across the board increase for all purses. This is effective with the races to be run Monday, Sept. 28 – for which entries will be taken today.

“This has been a challenging meet, to say the least,” said Todd Mostoller, Executive Director of the Pennsylvania HBPA. “But, the cooperation from every segment of the Presque Isle community, from the Churchill Downs management team, particularly Matt Ennis, the Director of Racing, to the owners and trainers, to the incredibly-devoted backstretch workers who care for these horses, has been nothing short of remarkable.

“The pandemic has forced everyone in racing to be creative, and to be resourceful,” Mostoller added. “There's no better example of that than what continues to take place every day at Presque Isle Downs. This purse increase is a great way to say thanks to our great horsemen who stepped up big-time to support this meet.”

Racing at Presque Isle Downs will continue, Mondays through Thursdays, through Oct. 22, with a 4:45 pm first post.

The post Presque Isle Downs Announces 20 Percent Purse Increase Across The Board appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Space Blues Done For The Season

Godolphin’s ‘TDN Rising Star’ and last-out G1 Prix Maurice de Gheest victor Space Blues (Ire) (Dubawi {Ire}) will miss the Oct. 4 G1 Prix de la Foret and the remainder of the season after meeting with a setback.

The 4-year-old Space Blues won all four starts in Europe this season, including the G3 Prix de la Porte Maillot and the G2 Lennox S. prior to his Group 1 breakthrough.

“We are obviously very disappointed that we will not see Space Blues line up in the Prix de la Foret next month, but look forward to seeing him back on the racecourse in the new year,” said trainer Charlie Appleby.

The post Space Blues Done For The Season appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

La Barrosa Centre Stage On Cambridgeshire Opener

Newmarket’s three-day Cambridgeshire meeting starts on Thursday, with Godolphin’s ‘TDN Rising Star’ La Barrosa (Ire) (Lope de Vega {Ire}) lined up for the card’s sole pattern race, the G3 Tattersalls S. Impressive on his winning debut over this seven-furlong trip at Ascot on Sept.  4, the bay is certain to start at cramped odds after two winners have boosted that form.

“La Barrosa produced a very pleasing debut at Ascot and has come out of the race well,” Charlie Appleby said. “We felt that he has shown us enough to merit the step up to pattern company and this should tell us more about his future.”

He meets Middleham Park Racing’s Ventura Tormenta (Ire) (Acclamation {GB}), who faces a stiff task under a five-pound penalty for his success in the six-furlong G2 Prix Robert Papin at Chantilly on July 19. Sixth last time in the G2 Flying Childers S. over five at Doncaster on Sept. 11, the versatile bay needs the forecast rain to be light. “We’ve gone up and down in trip with him a bit, but the guys that ride him think that this trip is what he wants,” trainer Richard Hannon said. “He was the last off the bridle over seven furlongs in a Group 2 on the July Course [when fifth in Superlative S.], so let’s hope we have made the right decision. I hope the ground isn’t too soft. He has been busy all season and he ran a good race last time out at Doncaster.”

The post La Barrosa Centre Stage On Cambridgeshire Opener appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights