Efforts Continue To Save Eldar Eldarov For Life Outside Of Racing

Eldar Eldarov (GB) is said to be “making progress” having had an operation to stabilise a fracture in his neck, sustained during an incident in the stalls at the start of the G2 Dubai Gold Cup on Saturday which caused him to be withdrawn.

However, a return to racing has all but been ruled out for the son of Dubawi (Ire), who memorably won the G1 St Leger at Doncaster in 2022, before doubling his top-level tally with victory in last year's Irish equivalent, among his 10 starts for Roger Varian.

“He had an operation on Tuesday to stabilise a fracture,” said Chris Wall, racing manager for owner Shaikh Khalid bin Khalifa's KHK Racing. “Initially, when he was in that post-operative phase he had a rough time of things, but he's making progress now. It will be small steps, he's got a long way to go, but the future is looking brighter than it did 48 hours ago.

“He's in good hands in the equine hospital in Dubai, they've done a very good job so far. We flew in two vets from America who said they thought they'd be able to do something for him and they have. We are thankful and grateful to them, and to Shaikh Khalid for insisting that we left no stone unturned to try to give the horse a future.

“He still has quite a long way to go. He's by no means in the clear yet, but the progress report this morning [Wednesday] was positive and he's moving in the right direction.”

As for what the future might hold for the five-year-old Eldar Eldarov, Wall added, “I think we can safely say he won't be returning to racing, it's now a question of whether he can do a stud job or whether he just has a happy retirement somewhere. We'll have to see. That all depends on how his recovery goes and it's a bit early to say for certain.”

The post Efforts Continue To Save Eldar Eldarov For Life Outside Of Racing appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

British Racing Launches New Campaign to Address Welfare Concerns

A new communications campaign, HorsePWR, has been launched by British racing, designed to share and promote the facts around welfare in horseracing.

HorsePWR will have its own dedicated website to provide information about the sport and the thoroughbred, the lives they lead and the high welfare and safety standards within racing. The website also explores the areas that racing has committed to improve, from reducing risk on and off the racecourse to better supporting horses when they leave the sport.

The campaign has been led by the British Horseracing Authority (BHA), Great British Racing (GBR) and racing's Horse Welfare Board (HWB), with additional funding provided by the Jockey Club.

Kinross-based National Hunt trainer Lucinda Russell said of HorsePWR, “This is just what racing needs. We must provide the facts, help educate and confront the tough questions head on. The facts matter. We understand our responsibility and respect our horses and we want to make sure the public know this too.

“It's good to see us taking a new approach, showing pride in the lives we give our horses and challenging and correcting inaccurate information which is put into the public domain by those who are opposed to the sport.”

Robin Mounsey, BHA head of communications and HWB member, added, “The HorsePWR campaign sees the sport take a new approach when it comes to talking about welfare. It is about being up-front, open and transparent. It is about tackling head-on the elements of the sport that we know are areas of concern and providing information to educate and reassure.

“Those who work in the sport are rightly proud of our record and standards when it comes to welfare. This campaign provides a platform to allow those connected with the sport to share their pride. It will be aimed at racing's current and potential fans, seeking to ensure that future generations of racing followers are not lost to the sport due to negative perceptions around the welfare issues which are tackled by this campaign.”

The post British Racing Launches New Campaign to Address Welfare Concerns appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights