Turf Paradise Submits Proposal For 84-Day Winter Meet — With Conditions

The standoff between Arizona horsemen and Turf Paradise continues to evolve. A letter published by Thoroughbred Daily News last week from Turf Paradise states the track will seek live race dates from Jan. 2 to May 1, 2021, 84 cards total, at the next racing commission meeting on Oct. 8.

In return, the track expects the Arizona Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association (AZHBPA) to refund the $2.1 million the organization took from the Turf Paradise horsemen's account after AZHBPA asserted it was the rightful owner of the money.

AZHBPA is also asked to approve both imports and exports of the Turf Paradise signal through the end of the proposed meet.

A spokesman for AHBPA told the TDN the second request is not a dealbreaker, but the first one could be problematic. The horsemen's group believes it controls money allocated to the horsemen's purse account, according to a prior arbitrated settlement. The track believes the money should be controlled by a group of horsemen who run specifically at Turf Paradise, not the statewide horsemen's group.

The Paulick Report's Ray Paulick provided his perspective on the ongoing disputes between the state's primary track and its horsemen's group in this op/ed last week.

Read more about the latest developments at Thoroughbred Daily News

The post Turf Paradise Submits Proposal For 84-Day Winter Meet — With Conditions appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Nando Parrado Camp Opts for Lagerdere

Marie McCartan’s Group 2 winner Nando Parrado (GB) (Kodiac {GB}), runner-up in the G1 Darley Prix Morny at Deauville on Aug. 23, will step forward in the G1 Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere at ParisLongchamp on Sunday. The G1 Dewhurst S. had been the plan, but the Paris region has more rain in the forecast, and the course is already rated soft. The Clive Cox trainee won the G2 Coventry S. at Royal Ascot.

“With the [wet] forecast, he’s actually going to travel to France on Sunday for the Lagardere,” Cox told Sky Sports Racing. “He did a really good job winning the Coventry, and at that stage we were intent on looking further with him, and he then finished second in the Morny.

“The prospect of easy ground has lured us that way–and I’m very much looking forward to it, because he’s in excellent form. The extra furlong will be really interesting, and I’m convinced it will be well up his street. We think and awful lot of him. He’s got a lot of class.”

The post Nando Parrado Camp Opts for Lagerdere appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Repairs Continue at Delta Downs, Racing Could Resume Late November

Officials at Delta Downs Racetrack Casino Hotel in Vinton, Louisiana, which suffered widespread damage during Hurricane Laura Aug. 27, report that they are working towards issuing a revised schedule for its 2020-2021 racing season and that live racing could resume by the end of November.

Based on the progress that has been made to date, racing officials are optimistic that horses might be able to return to the grounds to begin training in late October. Racing at Delta Downs was scheduled to take place Oct. 6, 2020 through Feb. 27, 2021, for a total of 84 dates. However, the ending date could be extended along with the total number of dates, pending approval from the Louisiana Racing Commission.

Steve Kuypers, Vice President & General Manager of Delta Downs, said: “Boyd Gaming and Delta Downs are committed to hosting a successful 2020-21 Thoroughbred meet here in Vinton, Louisiana.”

The region has been slow to recover from the hurricane. Track announcer Don Stevens tweeted Sept. 25 that his powered had just been restored after 28 days.

The post Repairs Continue at Delta Downs, Racing Could Resume Late November appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Queen’s Plate Winner Mighty Heart Will Take On Eight Rivals In Tuesday’s Prince Of Wales

Queen's Plate winner Mighty Heart will continue his pursuit of the prestigious OLG Canadian Triple Crown when he takes on eight contenders at Fort Erie Race Track in the 85th Prince of Wales Stakes, on Tuesday, Sept. 29.

After a dominating 7 ½-length triumph in the Queen's Plate, Mighty Heart, bred and owned by Lawrence Cordes, and trained by Canadian Hall of Fame inductee Josie Carroll, will look to continue his winning ways in the $400,000 Prince of Wales, second jewel in the OLG Canadian Triple Crown. On Friday, he was installed as the 7-5 morning line favorite.

Daisuke Fukumoto, who rode the one-eyed Ontario-bred to his stirring Plate score, is back in the irons for Tuesday's engagement for Canadian-bred three-year-olds, set for 1 3/16 miles on the Fort Erie dirt surface. Carroll, who won the 2006 Plate with Edenwold and the 2011 edition with the filly Inglorious, won the 2016 running of the Prince of Wales with Amis Gizmo.

Mighty Heart, who will leave from post two, faces Plate rivals Clayton (third in the Plate), Dotted Line (seventh), Tecumseh's War (fourth), and Truebelieve (ninth), as well as Bold Victory, Enchant Me, Muskoka Giant, and Red Victory.

Some of the sport's top experts have delivered their picks (see below) that comprise the Prince of Wales Power Rankings presented by the OLG Canadian Triple Crown. The Power Rankings spotlight top contenders as voted on by expert horseplayers and racing commentators from Woodbine Racetrack and Fort Erie Race Track, including Jeff Bratt, Robert Geller, Ashley Mailloux, Doug McPherson, Jason Portuondo and Monique Vag. The rankings are based on votes following a 5-4-3-2-1 points system for the top five selections.

Should Mighty Heart, whose Plate time of 2:01.98 was the second fastest Plate run since 1957, emerge victorious in the Prince of Wales, it could set up a possible date in the starting gate for the $400,000 Breeders' Stakes, third and final jewel in the Triple Crown Series, set for 1 ½ miles on the world renowned E.P. Taylor Turf Course, October 24 at Woodbine.

The last horse to sweep all three races was Wando in 2003. Bred and owned by the late Gus Schickedanz, and trained by Mike Keogh, the son of Langfuhr garnered front-page coverage in the lead-up and aftermath of his Triple Crown quest.

First race post time on September 29 is 2:10 p.m., with the Prince of Wales scheduled for approximately 5:37 p.m. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, Fort Erie Race Track will be closed to spectators. Fans can watch online or tune in to the Canadian Triple Crown broadcast, sponsored by OLG, beginning at 5:00 p.m. on TSN.

FIELD FOR THE PRINCE OF WALES

Post – Horse – Trainer – Jockey – Morning Line Odds

1 – Truebelieve – Cole Bennett – Keveh Nicholls – 30-1

2 – Mighty Heart – Josie Carroll – Daisuke Fukumoto – 7-5

3 – Dotted Line – Sid Attard – Justin Stein – 8-1

4 – Red Mercury – Paul Lepiane – Simon Husbands – 30-1

5 – Enchant Me – Santino Di Paola – Luis Contreras – 20-1

6 – Bold Victory – Mark Casse – Patrick Husbands – 12-1

7 – Tecumseh's War – Catherine Day Phillips – Emma-Jayne Wilson – 4-1

8 – Muskoka Giant – Mark Casse – Kazushi Kimura – 12-1

9 – Clayton – Kevin Attard – Rafael Hernandez – 5-2

PRINCE OF WALES POWER RANKINGS PRESENTED BY THE OLG CANADIAN TRIPLE CROWN

Horse – Trainer – Points – First-Place Votes

1 Mighty Heart – Josie Carroll – 27 – 4

2 Clayton – Kevin Attard – 23 – 1

3 Tecumseh's War – Catherine Day Phillips – 18 – 1

4 Dotted Line – Sid Attard – 14 – 0

5 Muskoka Giant – Mark Casse – 4 – 0

The post Queen’s Plate Winner Mighty Heart Will Take On Eight Rivals In Tuesday’s Prince Of Wales appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights