Authentic Arrives At Pimlico On His Toes, To Head To Track Wednesday

Kentucky Derby (Grade 1) winner Authentic and five other horses running in Saturday's Preakness (G1) arrived at Pimlico Race Course at approximately 7 p.m. Tuesday evening after a flight from Louisville, Kentucky.

Authentic, the favorite in Saturday's 145th running of the Preakness, was joined by the 3-year-old filly Swiss Skydiver, Blue Grass (G2) winner Art Collector, Haskell (G1) runner-up Ny Traffic, Mr. Big News, third in the Kentucky Derby, and Thousand Words, a late scratch from the Derby.

Trainer Bob Baffert, trainer of Authentic and Thousand Words, joined his horses on the flight to Baltimore and the van to Pimlico.

“They actually traveled really well. I came on the horse plane and hadn't done that for 18, 19 years,” Baffert said. “Thousand Words was fine. Authentic was pretty ramped up because he worked yesterday so he had an off day and he was pretty wild. He looks at everything. He was dragging me around here when he got off the van, He's definitely not tired. He's a good feeling horse. He sees things before you do so you have to be on your toes at all times.”

Authentic and Art Collector are expected to head to the track at approximately 8:30 Wednesday morning.

Swiss Skydiver will attempt to become only the sixth filly to win the Preakness, the first since Rachel Alexandra in 2009.

The post Authentic Arrives At Pimlico On His Toes, To Head To Track Wednesday appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Governor Signs Horse Racing Safety Bills in California

Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a law from Sen. Bill Dodd, D-Napa Tuesday to improve horse racing safety across California and build on reforms adopted last year. Additionally, the governor signed a second horse racing bill, co-authored by Sen. Dodd and Assembly member Adam Gray, D-Merced, incorporating recommendations from the California Horse Racing Board.
“The horse racing industry must accept and adopt forward-thinking solutions as the health and welfare of the sport’s human and equine athletes are paramount to their future in California,” said Gov. Newsom. “These bills are an essential step to create a safer and more transparent horse racing experience for everyone involved and can serve as a model for other states to follow.”
“Making horse racing safer for horses and jockeys is critical for the future of this sport,” Sen. Dodd said. “Thanks to Gov. Newsom for signing my bill, which will help ensure track conditions are right and horses are fit before they hit the starting gate.”
In 2019, Sen. Dodd wrote Senate Bill 469 and followed this year with Senate Bill 800, which incorporates reforms recommended by the CHRB, including improved veterinary medical review prior to races and increased transparency in drug testing. The second bill, AB 1974, provides additional safeguards.

The post Governor Signs Horse Racing Safety Bills in California appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Mighty Heart Conquers Second Jewel Of Canadian Triple Crown

Mighty Heart made it look mighty easy winning the Prince of Wales Stakes. The one-eyed three-year-old now holds the first two jewels in the OLG Canadian Triple Crown, and if all goes well has his eye set on the Breeder's Stakes in October. The last Canadian Triple Crown winner was Wando in 2003.

Mighty Heart and Clayton were sitting fourth and fifth going into the last turn, with Clayton on the outside. Jockey Daisuke Fukumoto was intently tracking Clayton's steps, and as Clayton made a run for the front four-wide in the final turn, Mighty Heart came to call on the outside and easily took the lead with no urging. Mighty Heart beat Clayton by two and a half lengths. Dotted Line battled throughout and persisted for third, and Bold Victory made a late run for fourth.

“A couple horses went to the lead so I let them go and sat behind them. He can take a little air so I changed up the tactic, and when I asked him at the quarter pole he went on again,” said Fukumoto after the race. “Last time he won very easily, and he did it again today.”

Trainer Josie Carroll said she's excited about the possibility of running Mighty Heart in the Breeders' Stakes. “We always wait to see how the horse comes out, that's the key. He's a wonderful little horse and he gets better every time.”

Owner Lawrence Cordes called Mighty Heart a gift.

”He was handicapped from day one and his future looked bleak because of his injury, but we had faith in him from the day he stepped on the track. We have to see how he comes out of this race, but we would like to compete for the Triple Crown.”

Mighty Heart paid $3.70 to win as the 4-5 favorite, $2.60 to place, and $2.20 to show. Clayton paid $3.40 to place and $2.40 to show. Dotted Line paid $3.20 to show.

Despite being closed to the public and the loss of on-track wagering, Tuesday's Prince of Wales Stakes produced a record handle of $3,028,600, topping the previous record handle under Fort Erie Live Race Consortium's management of $2,188,171 from 2016 when Amis Gizmo won for Josie Carroll.

Tuesday's final race of the day featured a mandatory payout on the .20 jackpot Hi-5, with a carryover of $178,381.93.  $701,151.21 in new money was wagered in the pool, with a payout of $7,657.83 on a .20 cent ticket.

The $400,000 Breeders' Stakes is the third and final jewel of the OLG Canadian Triple Crown, scheduled for Saturday, October 24. The event is one and a half miles on Woodbine's E.P. Taylor Turf Course.

The post Mighty Heart Conquers Second Jewel Of Canadian Triple Crown appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Kentucky to Consider Whip Penalty Changes

The penalty structure for the new slate of restrictive whipping regulations passed by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission (KHRC) back on June 16 appears to be on its way to an overhaul after the KHRC Rules Committee unanimously voted Sept. 29 to present a “days instead of dollars” system to the full board for reconsideration.

In essence, a series of escalating disciplinary actions will replace the suspension-plus-fine system that was originally based on a percentage of the purse being taken away from  riders who violate the “six underhanded strikes per race” rule (with only two of those strikes allowed in succession and with whipping in the first furlong of races not counting against the six strikes).

On Tuesday, committee members debated whether removing the monetary fines would provide enough of a deterrent to keep jockeys from violating the new rules, which have not yet gone into effect. They also discussed how the Kentucky penalty structure might or might not contribute to nationwide uniformity, as a number of other jurisdictions are also in the midst of implementing new anti-whipping rules.

Trainer Wesley Ward, a retired champion jockey, told fellow committee members that, “I don’t think that fining them is going to make any difference at all. The days is what really stops things.

“I’ve been in both situations,” Ward continued. “As a rider, you’re getting down into the race, and if you can hit [your mount] they win. [So] I think a lot depends on the rider and the significance of the race. That’s number one. And when you talk about the [GI] Kentucky Derby, you’re not going to stop the guys [from whipping beyond the rules]. They’re going to take a [suspension] or whatever if they feel they need to do that to win the race. Now on an everyday Wednesday or Thursday, I think they’re going to adhere to the rules.”

Rules Committee chair Mark Simendinger candidly admitted that, “I guess my feeling is that the chances of us getting this right the first time is probably not real high. I would just like to get started and see how it goes. And once we start seeing whether it’s working or not working it’s going to become more apparent to us what we have to do to make the changes that we have to.”

The KHRC’s Safety and Welfare Committee will next need to sign off on the changes, with the full commission likely voting on the new penalties at its Oct. 20 meeting.

According to an edited and redlined set of the new proposed penalties, seven or more strikes of a horse by a riding crop in a race shall result in penalties as follows:

First offense: a verbal warning.

Second offense: One to three-day suspension (discretion of the stewards, for this item and those below).

Third offense: Three to five-day suspension.

Fourth offense: Five to 10-day suspension.

Fifth offense: 10 to 15-day suspension

Sixth offense or more: Up to one-year suspension.

The stewards will retain the discretion to assess a suspension of up to one year for an egregious misuse of the crop, regardless of the number of times that the jockey struck the horse or the number of times that the jockey or driver had previously violated this regulation.

If a jockey rides for six consecutive months without a crop violation in any jurisdiction, then his or her penalty schedule is reset, such that subsequent crop violations will constitute a first offense.

The stewards and commission shall consider any mitigating or aggravating circumstances properly presented when assessing penalties pursuant to this administrative regulation.

A rider cannot receive multiple disciplinary actions on the same race card without verbal confirmation of any prior rule violations by the stewards. Failure of prior notice will result in a single violation recorded for the race card.

A suspension may be increased if it is determined that an appeal of stewards’ ruling under this regulation is deemed “frivolous.”

The post Kentucky to Consider Whip Penalty Changes appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights