Baffert Calls Maximum Security’s Pacific Classic Prep ‘Best He Has Worked For Me’

Maximum Security worked 6 furlongs in 1:12.80 at 6:30 a.m. PT on Sunday morning at Del Mar near San Diego, Calif., an exercise that drew a rave review from Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert.

“(Maximum Security) worked the best he has worked for me,” Baffert said via text. “Right on schedule for the Pacific Classic. A very impressive breeze.”

With Juan Ochoa up, Maximum Security – who won the Grade 2 San Diego Handicap on July 25 in his first start for Baffert in a career of nine wins in 11 starts with earnings of nearly $12 million – was sent out along with stablemate McKale, a 5-year-old allowance winner.

Maximum Security's work was the best, by nearly three seconds, of five total at the distance.

Clocker Toby Turrell noted: “He looked relaxed throughout, gathered up a nice stride late and was widening on his company under the wire.” McKale was officially timed in 1:00.00 for five furlongs.

Maximum Security, a son of New Year's Day, bred and owned by Gary and Mary West of nearby Rancho Santa Fe, is one of six “probables” and three “possibles” for the $500,000 signature event of the meeting. The 30th running of the Pacific Classic is scheduled August 22 as part of a five-stakes program.

Baffert confirmed that Abel Cedillo, aboard for the San Diego, would retain the mount for the TVG Pacific Classic.

“Now all we've got to do is get those TVG guys to raise the purse …LOL,” Baffert texted.

The post Baffert Calls Maximum Security’s Pacific Classic Prep ‘Best He Has Worked For Me’ appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Aug. 22 Pacific Classic Betting Challenge Shifting To Online Only At TVG.com

Del Mar near San Diego, Calif., will offer the “Pacific Classic Betting Challenge” on Saturday, August 22, TVG Pacific Classic Day at the seaside oval when five graded stakes will be presented on a stellar 11-race card.

The “live money” Challenge is offered online for the first time through TVG.com only and is expected to draw as many as 200 players.

Those interested in competing can sign up at the Handicapping Contest link at DMTC.com/PCBC.  Registration opens this Thursday, August 13, at 9 a.m. (Pacific).

Here are the rules and facts around the Challenge:

  • Online live money Challenge at TVG.com only.
  • $4,000 to enter with $3,000 to bankroll and $1,000 to prizes. 100% payout of prizes.
  • Del Mar live races only with loaded card including 5 graded stakes races; 11 total races.
  • Prizes include Breeders' Cup Betting Challenge and National Horseplayer Championship entries.
  • Win, place, show, exacta, trifecta and double wagering.
  • Wager at least $500 on 4 races and at least $3,000 for the Challenge.
  • Up to two entries per player.
  • Feeders on HorseTourneys.com.

The post Aug. 22 Pacific Classic Betting Challenge Shifting To Online Only At TVG.com appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Multimillionaire Turf Sprinter Pure Sensation Retired

Patricia Generazio’s homebred 9-year-old gelding Pure Sensation (Zensational–Purse Disco, by Disco Rico) was retired following a seventh-place finish in Saturday’s GIII Troy S. at Saratoga. Out of the Disco Rico mare Pure Disco, the popular grey retires with a record of 38-14-5-7 and purse earnings of $2,004,050.

“He’s been amazingly consistent over the years. He was a very fast horse from the beginning and he will be a tough guy to replace,” said trainer Christophe Clement. “He was a very straightforward horse and very kind. He traveled all over the country. He ran last year in the Breeders’ Cup and was the favorite in the race. It’s extraordinary how long he lasted at the top level. It’s a credit to Mr. and Mrs. Generazio and their breeding program.”

A multiple graded stakes winner, Pure Sensation picked up stakes wins in six consecutive seasons, from his 3-year-old year to age eight. He won the GIII Turf Monster H. at Parx in 2015, 2017, 2018 and 2019, the GIII Parx Dash S. in 2016, 2018 and 2019 and the GIII Jaipur Invitational S. in 2016 at Belmont. In that effort, he set a new six-furlong course record, later bettered by stablemate Disco Partner (Disco Rico) in the same race the following year. Disco Partner, another Generazio homebred, was retired to Rockridge Stud for the 2020 season.

“I’m not sure what Mr. Generazio would like to do yet, whether he wants him retired to the farm or if we can use him as a pony at the track because he would be a very popular pony if I can take him with us to Payson Park,” added Clement about plans for Pure Sensation’s post-racing life.

The post Multimillionaire Turf Sprinter Pure Sensation Retired appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights