Distance, Ground Should Benefit Mr. D’Angelo In Repeat Bid For Maryland Million Turf Victory

More than 12 months after springing a 17-1 upset in the only other stakes attempt on his resume, Kevin P. Morgan's homebred Mr. d'Angelo is one of the main contenders as he returns to defend his title in Saturday's $100,000 Maryland Million Turf at Laurel Park.

Extended another furlong to 1 1/8 miles from 2019, the Turf for 3-year-olds and up is among eight stakes and four starter stakes on the 35th Jim McKay Maryland Million program, 'Maryland's Day at the Races' celebrating the progeny of stallions standing in the state.

A total of five races are scheduled for Laurel's world-class turf course, set to be contested over the Bowl Game and Exceller layouts. First race post time is 11:25 a.m.

Like many horses this year, Mr. d'Angelo got a belated start to his 2020 campaign in part due to the coronavirus pandemic. He has gone winless in just three starts, but has shown a steady improvement in each one at distances from 1 1/8 to 1 1/16 to one mile.

“We've been kind of pointing this way pretty much all year. He appears to be doing very well at the moment,” trainer Tim Woolley said. “He was a little bit unlucky in his last race. He probably should have won his last race but he's back together and the added distance of a mile an eighth this year is going to help, as well. We're kind of excited and he seems to be coming into the race in really good shape.”

A gelded 4-year-old son of late stallion and Australian Group 1 winner Seville, Mr. d'Angelo exits an open one-mile allowance at Laurel Sept. 17 where he found himself in his customary trailing position for a half-mile before launching a determined bid that saw him fall a neck shy of King's Honor.

“He's just one of those horses that when you have to come from way off the pace, which seems like his style, there's always going to be complications in running. That's just the way his style is. He just likes to come from way out of it and we don't try to change things up, we just hope that everything falls into place,” Woolley said. “That last race he probably should have won, he was just a little bit unlucky again. The horse that beat him kind of drifted out into his path a little bit and we kind of just lost that edge. Also, the last race was only a mile and I think he'll really like the mile and an eighth distance this time around.”

Mr. d'Angelo employed a similar strategy to win last year's Turf by 1 ¾ lengths, then went unraced until returning in a 1 1/8-mile optional claiming allowance July 18 at Laurel, running third by 2 ¼ lengths. Next out he was fourth, beaten less than a length, in an open 1 1/16-mile allowance, his first of two straight races over a turf course rated good.

Also returning for this year's Turf are Somekindofmagician and Pretty Good Year, respectively second and third at 32-1 and 21-1 in 2019; Cannon's Roar, Taxable Goods and No Bull Addiction.

“There's a few of the horses that he raced against last year in the race again, and they are probably a bit more accomplished in some of the regular races but he's certainly going to be one of the main challengers again this year,” Woolley said. “I think the mile and an eighth suits him and the turf having a little bit of softness in it is going to take the starch out of some of these horses where I think he really just likes that. He'll like the distance and he'll handle any turf course we give him.”

Jevian Toledo, up for the last four starts including last year's Turf, rides back from Post 4 in a field of 12 plus also-eligibles Dundalk and Maryland-bred Hanalei's Houdini.

Bell Gable Stable's Somekindofmagician has yet to win a race in 2020, but has three seconds and two thirds from seven starts for trainer Jamie Ness. A six-length winner running for a $25,000 claiming tag Aug. 19 at Parx, the 6-year-old Street Magician gelding has run third in a pair of optional claiming allowances since, one rained off the turf.

Lead Off Stable's Pretty Good Year has had a similar hard-luck season in seven starts with one win, one second and two thirds. He was beaten a half-length when runner-up to Confessor Sept. 7 then ran third behind Super John Sept. 26, both optional claiming allowance events at Delaware Park.

Taking Risks Stable's Cannon's Roar comes into the Turf in top form with three consecutive wins including a dead-heat triumph with Nick Papagiorgio last out, a second-level optional claiming allowance going 1 1/8 miles over the Pimlico Race Course turf Sept. 25. Prior to that, he won back-to-back allowance at Laurel going one and 1 1/16 miles.

Cannon's Roar, a gelded 6-year-old son of Orientate, got his usual winter break before coming back but was unable to get started until June 6 amid the coronavirus pandemic. Jorge Ruiz has the return call from outside Post 12.

“He's come back and had a good year so far. We always turn him out during the winter because he's much better on the grass. He's just come back and done well,” trainer Dale Capuano said. Capuano is the leading trainer in Maryland Million history with 11 wins among his 3,504 career victories.

“He's been pretty versatile. He can go to the front or lay off the pace, it doesn't really matter. It depends on the pace of the race, obviously, but he's pretty versatile that way,” Capuano said. “He's just been doing well so hopefully he has good luck in the race. Last year he clipped heels and almost went down, so hopefully we get good racing luck this year. He didn't get beat by much last year despite that so, hopefully, with some luck he should be OK.”

Rounding out the field are Benny Havens, Nick Papgiorgio, Rising Perry, Seville Barber, Seville Row and Tommy Shelby.

The post Distance, Ground Should Benefit Mr. D’Angelo In Repeat Bid For Maryland Million Turf Victory appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Leinster ‘Doing Much Better’ Ahead Of Return Trip To Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint

Amy Dunne, Brenda Miley, Westrock Stables and Jean Wilkinson's Leinster began serious preparations for a second run in the $1 million Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint (G1) by working a half-mile in :49.40 over a turf course labeled good Thursday morning at Keeneland.

Working on his own with Crystal Conning aboard, Leinster recorded fractions of :11.60, :24.80 and :37.40, according to Keeneland clockers.

“Looked good to me,” trainer Rusty Arnold said of Leinster's first work since winning the Woodford (G2) Presented by Keeneland Select on Oct. 3.

Leinster finished seventh last year in the Turf Sprint at Santa Anita.

“Compared to last year at this time, he's doing much better,” said Arnold, who has had 13 Breeders' Cup starters with his first coming in 1996.

“In retrospect, I ran him too much last year. He won the race in New York (the Troy-G3) and that would have been enough to get him in (the Breeders' Cup). Then I ran him at Kentucky Downs and then BACK here in the Woodford, which I shouldn't have done. He didn't run bad (finishing second), but I just think he had lost his edge a little bit.”

In other Thursday works by Breeders' Cup hopefuls:

Ranlo Investments' Golden Pal, who figures to be one of the main players in the $1 million Juvenile Turf Sprint (G2) on Nov. 6, worked 5 furlongs on the turf in 1:02.80 in company with Hat Creek Racing's Illegal Smile (IRE). Golden Pal started 3 lengths in back of Illegal Smile, who is two-time stakes-placed on the turf at Woodbine, and finished a length in front. Both are trained by Wesley Ward.

Working on the fast main track was DARRS Inc.'s Extravagant Kid, who covered a half-mile in :47.80 for trainer Brendan Walsh. Runner-up to Leinster in the Woodford Presented by Keeneland Select, Extravagant Kid also is under consideration for the Turf Sprint.

Also working for Walsh was The Cool Silk Partnership's Midnight Sands, who covered 5 furlongs in 1:00.80. Midnight Sands is under consideration for the $1 million Big Ass Fans Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (G1).

David Bernsen and Jeffrey Lambert's Lasting Legacy, under consideration for the $2 million Sprint (G1), worked a half-mile in :47.60 for trainer Bob Hess.

The post Leinster ‘Doing Much Better’ Ahead Of Return Trip To Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Butler Appointed To New Positions At 1/ST Racing, 1/ST Content; Will Relocate To Florida From California

1/ST announced on Thursday the appointment of Aidan Butler to Chief Operating Officer, 1/ST Racing and to President, 1/ST Content. Butler joined The Stronach Group in 2018 and has been front and center in California leading the racing operations teams at Santa Anita Park and Golden Gate Fields as the Acting Executive Director of California Racing Operations. In addition, he also served as Chief Strategy Officer for The Stronach Group.

Butler will work directly with Craig Fravel, Chief Executive Officer, 1/ST Racing, to further develop the company's world-class racing programs and national content offerings. While continuing to oversee racing operations nationally, Fravel will focus on West Coast operations while Butler will relocate to Florida to oversee the racing operations at the company's owned tracks and training centers on the East Coast including Gulfstream Park and Palm Meadows in Florida and Laurel Park, Pimlico Race Course and Rosecroft Raceway in Maryland.

Butler will also take on responsibilities to further develop and align the company's North American and international content businesses including, Monarch Content Management, Elite, GWS and XBTV as President of the newly formed 1/ST Content division.

“Aidan and I have been working side-by-side over the last year and have developed a strong and constructive working relationship,” said Fravel. “The appointment of Aidan to Chief Operating Officer, 1/ST Racing and President, 1/ST Content, is a critical step as we continue to build our company's forward-thinking and innovative racing and content programs. I have no doubt that his passion and knowledge for our sport will position our national and East Coast operations for growth.”

“I look forward to working with Craig and the 1/ST Racing teams in Florida and Maryland to synchronize our racing programs and to establishing the 1/ST Content division as the future of content platforms for our sport,” said Butler. “While I focus on the East Coast racing operations, I will continue to assist with matters in California and to work closely with horsemen in the state.”

During a transformative time in horse racing, Butler was responsible for the implementation of industry-leading health and safety protocols for horses and riders at Santa Anita Park while overseeing track management and operations at the company's West Coast venues. In addition, Butler was responsible for the development of key stakeholder and strategic relationships and most recently for leading Santa Anita Park successfully through the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Under his leadership, within days of the original coronavirus lockdown, Butler brought the horse racing community at Santa Anita Park together to form North America's first sports bubble. This self-contained ecosystem allowed hundreds of backstretch workers, jockeys and essential racing personnel to keep the horses safe and active while protecting themselves, their livelihoods and the community. This ecosystem has since been replicated by many other professional sports leagues including the National Basketball Association (NBA) and the National Hockey League (NHL). “Riders Up” the documentary that showcases how Butler and the team at Santa Anita Park made this happen premiered on NBCSN in the leadup to Preakness 145 and is currently viewable at www.santaanita.com.

For more information on 1/ST please visit www.1st.com or @1ST_Racing.

The post Butler Appointed To New Positions At 1/ST Racing, 1/ST Content; Will Relocate To Florida From California appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Source of original post

Clearance Remains High At Arqana

DEAUVILLE, France—The prices may have dipped significantly at Arqana on the Thursday but the activity at the sales grounds did not. If anything there were more people in attendance than on previous days, with the boost in French 2-year-old premiums to 70% perhaps acting as an incentive for owners to take a chance on a prospect for next season.

Certainly buyers were out in force and the clearance rate climbed again for this third tier of the sale, though it has to be said that not many below the top 20 lots of the day would have made any kind of profit for their breeder once nominations, keep fees and sales expenses have been taken into account. That said, if you breed a horse in France, even if the sales price is not profitable there is always the chance that the horse keeps earning for you through breeders’ premiums. 

One of the joint top-lots of the day (635) from Haras de Grandcamp is off to race in Poland, where his half-sister Furia (Fr) (Campanologist) won the Oaks among her five 3-year-old victories. Daniela Nowara signed the ticket for the son of Mastercraftsman (Ire) out of the G2 Prix Corrida winner Fair Breeze (Ger) (Silvano {Ger}) on behalf of his new owner at €42,000. 

The same price was bid by Victor Langlais of Langlais Bloodstock and Ludovic Gadbin for lot 640, Haras de la Haie Neuve’s son of the first-season War Front stallion Whitecliffsofdover. His dam Flute Divine (GB) (Royal Applause {GB}) was herself a winner at two and has produced the four-time winner and former breezer Another Planet (Fr) (Cockney Rebel {GB}). 

The shortest session of the week so far saw 87 of the 105 yearlings offered find a buyer, at a clearance rate of 83%. Turnover was €1,221,500, the average price was €14,040 and median €13,000.

With another short session still to come on Friday, the aggregate for the sale as a whole to date stands at €16,919,500, a sum which is closing in on last year’s tally, albeit from a rather different sale format.

The post Clearance Remains High At Arqana appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

Source of original post

Verified by MonsterInsights